Skip to main content

Professional Context and Maintaining Some Perspective

"Te kaha me te wairua". Energy flows where attention goes. Before I get into the meaty part of discussing my professional context, I spent a while pondering this. For me it really meant focusing my energies on the things that matter, because those are what will end up getting done! In the days of never ending to-do lists, I have had to consider choosing 2-3 things to really focus on getting done each day because without this focus my attention was all over the place, and therefore my energy was too. Anyway - on to the topic at hand!

Professional context refers to the various factors that impact on my practice. It includes not only those communities of practice as discussed earlier, but also the socioeconomic status of my community, the professional environment on a global, national and school wide level, and the culture of the school I belong to. 
We are a decile 2 school and so this is reflected in the community which is often struggling with a variety of issues. Before focusing on the issues it is important to also acknowledge their unique strengths in that they are culturally diverse (incredibly so) and rightly proud of this with night markets on weekly that display the plethora of cultures all packed into one spicily scented car park.


The issues that affect the learners at our school range from things such as children arriving without lunch or breakfast, or just the fact that a lot of our students are living in a state of stress that puts learning at risk. As a school we try to minimise these effects by building strong relationships with whanau so that we can provide help where needed (e.g. by sending food parcels home, or offering psychologists for children that would benefit from this) as well as trying to ensure school is a safe place for students where their needs are met so that learning can take place. 
In terms of the professional environment in the school there is a real mixture. Last week I discussed the effectiveness of my team and those who work with me on a regular basis, however as a whole our school is a mixed bag. With a relatively recent Principal and a lot of new staff on board in the last year or so there can be a bit of disconnect in the way people interact. Some staff are supportive, encouraging, and actively engaged in making our school a better place - whilst there are others who fall more on the critical side (or the apathetic one). The usefulness of seeing this duality in school (and I'm sure it is a common feature in most organisations) is that it makes it clear for me which type of staff member I would rather be! 
Issues from this kind of professional environment relate mostly to staff conflict, or situations where students become the second priority so that other manoeuvres can take place. The issues can cause more stress for teachers, and for myself I know that I find these conflicts to be extremely unsettling (even when not directly involved). I know that having a strong team around me minimises the possible disruption that these issues can have on my own personal practice. 
The culture of our school as an organisation is frequently discussed. What is culture in terms of the organisation? Is it the things we focus on such as becoming an enviro-school, using PB4L, having cultural groups etc? Or is it something more abstract such as the values of the school (respect for self, others and environment)? The way this is manifested is in the students themselves - how do they act in the play ground as well as in the classroom, what are the things they talk about and the things they care about? As a teaching staff I feel like our organisational culture has a strong impact on this. I think that part of the issue in defining our school culture does come from having a relatively new staff mixture (including the leadership team) and as our culture matures and grows it will help to improve the professional environment itself (and vice versa). 
Overall this week has helped to critically examine the environments in which my practice takes place. Teaching is not just what happens within the classroom, and there are impacts from the contexts in which my practice is taking place - not just on a classroom basis, or a school basis but in terms of the community itself. In the end I can only control what I can control, and sometimes that's just the 3 items on my priority to-do list. 

Comments

  1. Hey Lizzy..you bring up some great points about the change in our school. Reading some of the points you have made really makes me think that we need to do more as a school to support each other. We have had a lot of changes in the last few years and having enthusiastic teachers who come into the school with your enthusiasm is slowly starting to change the culture of our school. As we grow as a school with our new staff members you are right we will get stronger not only for ourselves but our students.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Community of Practice - Surrounding yourself with Marigolds

Today's post is brought to you by Mindlab , who have set up a series of topics and reflections over the next few weeks in order to assist us teachers in becoming critically reflective. I think I am both critical, and reflective, but not always at the same time and not always in the constructive ways that Mindlab is promoting. This first year is flying by, and one huge thing that has become very apparent is how important it is who I choose to surround myself with while I move through the challenges and struggles that seem to crop up on a daily basis. The community of practice is defined as those groups of people who use their shared passion or voca tion to deepen each others' knowledge and skills through that ongoing interaction - both in an unofficial sense (e.g. a coffee in the staff room) as well as through more structured interactions such as team planning sessions. Communities of practice that I belong to include my colleagues from last years study, with whom I inter

Our first piece of art

So I took on my most feared moment teaching. Well one of the many most feared moments. Starting, and more importantly, completing an art project with all 52 kids.  The result is bigger than I thought it would be, almost recognisable as a kiwi, and it looks pretty stunning high up on our walls. I'll take it as a win but it was not without a fair amount of chaos and stress. This jigsaw piece was bound to be a logistical nightmare - so I did my best to pre-empt the drama by carefully cutting out, laminating and numbering squares, then cutting out and number more squares, than matching said squares together, then trying to keep track of which student had which square. Inevitably we still lost some (there are a few that were completed last minute by yours truly when I realised the pieces were lost in the class room abyss). The finished kiwi. 120 little pastel images pieced together to create a pretty striking art work. Reflections from this project (because I do nothing

Mindlab Session #1 - or how I struggled to imagine 12 hour work days

So I made the decision to take on the post graduate certificate run by Unitec's Mindlab all around digital and collaborative learning. This course sounds perfect for helping me to take advantage of the environment I am teaching in this year, and helping me to enhance student learning with the available resources in our giant classroom. Most people I mentioned this too thought I had officially lost it, because it isn't as though I am finding this whole teaching business hard enough already. But the time spent on this learning I think will pay forward straight into the classroom, into my teaching practice and most importantly into the student's learning. Our first session was a lot of getting to terms with Unitec's systems, as well as using Google + (which I should have already been comfortable with but was most definitely not). We then moved on to discussing knowledge and learning, and what those words that we throw around so easily actually mean. What is knowledge?