Skip to main content

Indigenous Knowledge and Cultural Responsiveness

My 2 half brothers and half sister were born in the same hospital as me, Palmerston North, and aside for a few years where we were living in different countries, we grew up together. However their cultural identity was strongly linked to their Fijian father. The schools we went to were very Eurocentric, and our experiences at school in terms of achievement and relationships with teachers were polar opposites. Where I found myself at home in the learning environment, loving the academic focus and the grading system that made me feel like I could prove myself, for them they didn’t feel a sense of belonging at all. They were alienated by others who didn’t want to try and understand what made them different. Assumptions were made throughout the years about their level of ability or skills. They had a negative attitude towards school by the time we were in intermediate, and so it carried on to the point where both of my brothers were expelled from various high schools.

This whole experience taught me about the bias of our New Zealand school system. It showed me how hard it was for my family to be who they were, and embrace their cultural identity in a school that just wanted them to fit the mould. The deficit thinking for my Pasifika siblings became a core aspect of their own identity, and even as adults now they see themselves as unable to achieve in academics. For every Pasifika student in my class I see my own whanau, and I see how important my own views and beliefs about them are. This doesn’t this mean that I am always culturally responsive to the extent that I should be, but it definitely makes me aware of how powerful the classroom and school is in enabling students to be who they are, and to achieve as themselves.



I consider myself extremely lucky to have found myself in a school where cultural identity is a huge focus, and cultural responsiveness is emphasized and discussed so frequently. Throughout our school vision and core goals is a focus on developing student pride in their cultural identity - and this goes far beyond being words on a website but is a core aspect of each day in the way that we have cultural groups across the senior school, we celebrate language weeks in a way that involves students and their whanau in sharing knowledge.
One aspect in our school that could be more culturally responsive is the manner in which we communicate with whanau. We have already started going beyond just relying on notices home, and parent-teacher interviews and instead this year there has been a focus on face to face events, such as the Maori and Pasifika evenings. I would also love to see more being done digitally so that parents and the community are able to stay connected with the school via facebook or other tools that would enable these relationships to grow.

During my readings for this week’s blog post there was an aspect that stood out to me. One thing I struggle with is having high expectations and endless hope that every student in my class will achieve amazing things, whilst I also deal with the inevitable fact that many of my students are at a disadvantage because of the way society has failed them. Once I read about the notion of critical hope I felt like I could finally marry these things together. “Critical hope is audacious - in two ways. It grows out of, and then stands firmly in solidarity with, our students’ communities, sharing their sufferings, and it defies the marginalisation of underserved youth”(Milne, 2013 p297). I want to take this critical hope, and the experiences of my own siblings to do my best each day in providing students with the tools they need to grow the communities in which they want to be a part of, using the skills and knowledge that are theirs.



For an amazing reading on the white spaces of our schools: Milne, B. A. (2013). Colouring in the White Spaces: Reclaiming Cultural Identity in Whitestream Schools (Thesis, Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)). University of Waikato, Hamilton, New Zealand. Retrieved from http://hdl.handle.net/10289/7868

Comments

  1. I found the Critical Hope concept interesting and have gone and read more about it. It speaks volumes. Your point about identity being lost and the bias that is automatically and unconsciously applied is significant. We know this when we moderate writing from students who we place a 'glass ceiling' over. Fighting that bias is always difficult.

    I am glad you value your school's core vision involving culture and identity. You are lucky to have found a place that is such a great fit for you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Community of Practice - Surrounding yourself with Marigolds

Today's post is brought to you by Mindlab , who have set up a series of topics and reflections over the next few weeks in order to assist us teachers in becoming critically reflective. I think I am both critical, and reflective, but not always at the same time and not always in the constructive ways that Mindlab is promoting. This first year is flying by, and one huge thing that has become very apparent is how important it is who I choose to surround myself with while I move through the challenges and struggles that seem to crop up on a daily basis. The community of practice is defined as those groups of people who use their shared passion or voca tion to deepen each others' knowledge and skills through that ongoing interaction - both in an unofficial sense (e.g. a coffee in the staff room) as well as through more structured interactions such as team planning sessions. Communities of practice that I belong to include my colleagues from last years study, with whom I inter

Our first piece of art

So I took on my most feared moment teaching. Well one of the many most feared moments. Starting, and more importantly, completing an art project with all 52 kids.  The result is bigger than I thought it would be, almost recognisable as a kiwi, and it looks pretty stunning high up on our walls. I'll take it as a win but it was not without a fair amount of chaos and stress. This jigsaw piece was bound to be a logistical nightmare - so I did my best to pre-empt the drama by carefully cutting out, laminating and numbering squares, then cutting out and number more squares, than matching said squares together, then trying to keep track of which student had which square. Inevitably we still lost some (there are a few that were completed last minute by yours truly when I realised the pieces were lost in the class room abyss). The finished kiwi. 120 little pastel images pieced together to create a pretty striking art work. Reflections from this project (because I do nothing

Mindlab Session #1 - or how I struggled to imagine 12 hour work days

So I made the decision to take on the post graduate certificate run by Unitec's Mindlab all around digital and collaborative learning. This course sounds perfect for helping me to take advantage of the environment I am teaching in this year, and helping me to enhance student learning with the available resources in our giant classroom. Most people I mentioned this too thought I had officially lost it, because it isn't as though I am finding this whole teaching business hard enough already. But the time spent on this learning I think will pay forward straight into the classroom, into my teaching practice and most importantly into the student's learning. Our first session was a lot of getting to terms with Unitec's systems, as well as using Google + (which I should have already been comfortable with but was most definitely not). We then moved on to discussing knowledge and learning, and what those words that we throw around so easily actually mean. What is knowledge?