Skip to main content

Influence of Law and Ethics

As teachers the code of ethics we are bound by can seem over the top by others, and yet in our role we hold so much power and responsibility that it is key we consider the ethics of situations we are faced with. One scenario that I have been faced with recently is that of students being able to email me directly outside of school hours. Generally this is fine with emails relating to confirming information for the next day, or asking for feedback on a piece of writing however I am very aware that this form of communication can easily progress to something that might be more of an ethical dilemma (e.g. students contacting me about personal issues). I will look at this using Hall’s (2001) questions that he has proposed to help guide the ethical decision making process.


  1. Which stakeholders should be given priority? Why?
I think a key aspect of being a teacher is creating relationships with students where they feel safe and comfortable. Email contact can be a great way for students to share questions or issues that they may not want to approach me with in class, and the learners are my priority. Nevertheless their family are also key to this process, and I am always considering them when reading and replying to student emails. For example if a student were to disclose personal information I would need to consider contact parents and making sure that they are also informed so that there is nothing secretive about our contact via email.


2. What restrictions are there to my actions?
According to the NZ Code of professional responsibility and standards, my relationships with learners and their whanau must be professional and respectful. In all email contact I need to ensure that I am communicating in a professional way, and that I engage in relationships that respect professional boundaries. One way I ensure I do this is by including my team leader whenever there is any question for myself as to how to respond to a challenging email. I also write every email to students assuming that my team leader will read it, and that the parents or whanau of the learner will read it as well. This keeps me mindful of the way I am communicating and demonstrating a high level of professionalism.


3. Which courses of actions are possible?
Depending on what information was disclosed in the email I would need to ensure that if the student was at risk I report this. I would ensure that the student understood this so that I minimise the feeling of breaking trust that the student might encounter. I would also want to include and contact whanau if appropriate so that the and so that their trust in me as a professional is built. As a first year teaching I would always refer to my team leader before deciding on a course of action about a challenging or personal email from a student. It would also be important to talk to the whole class about email contact and what is okay, encouraging them to discuss personal issues or concerns on a face to face basis as opposed to via email.


4. How should the course of action be implemented?
After thinking about my own experiences so far, I think a pre-emptive cause of action would be best before any of these more challenging situations might come up with my students. Having a circle time discussion around email contact and the guidelines around all of us using this would be a good chance to talk to them about what is appropriate, and what should be said face to face. This gives me a chance to set up expectations, and ensure that there is an understanding about emails being transparent and professional (not just between me and them, but also between each other).

References:

  1. Conneticut's Teacher Education and Mentoring Program. (2012). Ethical and Professional Dilemmas for Education: Facilitator's Guide. Retrieved from: http://www.ctteam.org/df/resources/Module5_Manual.pdf
  2. Education Council. (n.d). The Education Council Code of Ethics for Certificated Teachers. Retrieved from https://educationcouncil.org.nz/content/code-of-et..
  3. Hall, A. (2001). What ought I to do, all things considered? An approach to the exploration of ethical problems by teachers. Paper presented at the IIPE Conference, Brisbane. Retrieved from http://www.educationalleaders.govt.nz/Culture/Developing-leaders/What-Ought-I-to-Do-All-Things-Considered-An-Approach-to-the-Exploration-of-Ethical-Problems-by-Teachers


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Community of Practice - Surrounding yourself with Marigolds

Today's post is brought to you by Mindlab , who have set up a series of topics and reflections over the next few weeks in order to assist us teachers in becoming critically reflective. I think I am both critical, and reflective, but not always at the same time and not always in the constructive ways that Mindlab is promoting. This first year is flying by, and one huge thing that has become very apparent is how important it is who I choose to surround myself with while I move through the challenges and struggles that seem to crop up on a daily basis. The community of practice is defined as those groups of people who use their shared passion or voca tion to deepen each others' knowledge and skills through that ongoing interaction - both in an unofficial sense (e.g. a coffee in the staff room) as well as through more structured interactions such as team planning sessions. Communities of practice that I belong to include my colleagues from last years study, with whom I inter

Our first piece of art

So I took on my most feared moment teaching. Well one of the many most feared moments. Starting, and more importantly, completing an art project with all 52 kids.  The result is bigger than I thought it would be, almost recognisable as a kiwi, and it looks pretty stunning high up on our walls. I'll take it as a win but it was not without a fair amount of chaos and stress. This jigsaw piece was bound to be a logistical nightmare - so I did my best to pre-empt the drama by carefully cutting out, laminating and numbering squares, then cutting out and number more squares, than matching said squares together, then trying to keep track of which student had which square. Inevitably we still lost some (there are a few that were completed last minute by yours truly when I realised the pieces were lost in the class room abyss). The finished kiwi. 120 little pastel images pieced together to create a pretty striking art work. Reflections from this project (because I do nothing

Mindlab Session #1 - or how I struggled to imagine 12 hour work days

So I made the decision to take on the post graduate certificate run by Unitec's Mindlab all around digital and collaborative learning. This course sounds perfect for helping me to take advantage of the environment I am teaching in this year, and helping me to enhance student learning with the available resources in our giant classroom. Most people I mentioned this too thought I had officially lost it, because it isn't as though I am finding this whole teaching business hard enough already. But the time spent on this learning I think will pay forward straight into the classroom, into my teaching practice and most importantly into the student's learning. Our first session was a lot of getting to terms with Unitec's systems, as well as using Google + (which I should have already been comfortable with but was most definitely not). We then moved on to discussing knowledge and learning, and what those words that we throw around so easily actually mean. What is knowledge?